Sometimes, the best excursions in Nassau are right under our noses and we don’t know until we leave the Bahamas. Well, this time, you will be ready for all that the Bahamas capital city has to offer and you won’t miss something right in front of you. From white sand beaches on secluded islands to cultural tours around town to luxurious resort day getaways – a vacation in Nassau can pack a punch that you don’t want to miss out on! This is a list of the best trips to take from Bahamas’ capital city, Nassau on New Providence Island.
Here are the best excursions in Nassau for your family vacation
No matter where you look, Nassau is surrounded by great places to go on a day trip to. Nassau, itself, makes for a great day trip from Florida so there is no wonder many people enjoy the islands surrounding it. Without further ado, the top Nassau Bahamas shore excursions:
1. Staniel Cay day trips
One of the best excursions in Nassau is a Nassau to Staniel Cay day tour. While in Staniel Cay, you will be able to encounter a few of the destinations already on this list. Besides those, you will have the opportunity to boat trip to a number of nearby islands and adventures including:
– Staniel Cay Yacht Club: Often known as “The Gateway to the Exumas”, Staniel Cay Yacht Club has seen millions of visitors over the years (opened in 1956) from celebrities on mega yachts to regular tourists.
– Compass Cay Bahamas: Now is your chance to swim with sharks Bahamas style. Compass Cay Marina is home to a sanctuary of Nurse and Reef sharks who hang in the shallow waters near the marina. They are harmless to humans.
– Bitter Guana Cay: Home to the largest population of Northern Bahamian Rock iguanas in the world. This is an endangered species and can only be found on two other islands in the Bahamas and in the world. They can grow to be four feet in length and live up to 45 years!
– Thunderball Grotto: The scene of the 1963 James Bond 007 Hollywood Hit, ‘Thunderball’, you can dive into this hollowed rock formation and swim through lively habitats and underwater tunnels just like Bond did.
– Pipe Creek Sand Bar: Come during low tide or else you might not find this oasis. Near Pipe Creek Cay, you can navigate dingy boats to this beautiful jewel in the middle of the turquoise blue sea. One of the best excursions in Nassau!
– Staniel Cay Plane Wreck: It is said this plane wreckage, only ten feet underwater (one of the most accessible underwater plane wrecks in the world), used to belong to Carlos Ledher and Escobar’s cartel – doing hundreds of drug runs between Colombia and Miami.
– Diving/ Snorkeling Trip: The Exumas is the perfect place for a diving experience with plenty of visibility and exotic marine life.
– Deep-sea Fishing Tour: Said to be a hotbed for deep sea fishing, this area of the Exumas around Staniel Cay would be a perfect place to hire a boat and be guided by a local fisherman who will put you on top of some of the most exotic fishing you will ever do!
2. Day trip to Harbour Island and Pink Sands Beach
Day trips to Bahamas’ Harbour Island is the perfect romantic getaway for couples or for that special someone in your life. Take a private Nassau to Harbour Island Day Trip in a Cessna Caravan with Bahamas Air Tours to experience the magic and really ‘wow’ your partner. Your Bahamas vacation will be taken to the next level on Harbour Island’s famous Pink Sands Beach.
3. Excursions to Rose Island by boat
There are plenty of things to do in Nassau, but if you are looking for another quiet escape, it is recommended you check out Rose Island via a day trip boat. Its proximity to New Providence and Paradise Islands makes it even more attractive for those looking for quick transfer to get maximum enjoyment from the beach.
There are no accommodation options on the small island, so expect to return to Nassau/ Paradise Island sometime in the evening. If you can, try to catch the sunset from the island or on the boat ride back to Nassau. Rose Island is one of the best excursions in Nassau.
4. Snorkeling Excursions around Nassau
Nassau snorkeling is surprisingly very lively and interesting. Normally, large and busy ports such as Nassau’s are known to have less than stellar visibility under the sea. However, Nassau snorkeling is an exception. You will see some colorful reefs and surprising sea life, guaranteed! One of the easiest excursions in Nassau! Discover our favorite snorkelling spots in Nassau here.
5. Cultural Excursions around the Downtown of Nassau
Downtown Nassau tours are among the best Nassau Bahamas shore excursions because of its proximity and historical significance. Here are some of the best excursions in Nassau:
– 17th Century British colonial architecture
– Queen’s Staircase
– John Watling’s Rum Distillery
– Fort Fincastle
– Historic Parliament Square
– Pirates of Nassau Museum
– Public Library and Museum
– Nassau Straw Market
6. Nassau tours to Pig Beach
A one day cruise to Bahamas to see the Exuma pigs in the Bahamas at Pig Island is one of the best excursions in Nassau. Swimming pigs Nassau tours leave every day early in the morning. The flights to Bahamas Exuma Cays takes less than half-an-hour. You can read more about swimming with pigs in our other guides.
7. Atlantis Bahamas Resort excursions
Atlantis Resorts in the Bahamas is just across the bridge from New Providence, making it one of the top Nassau Bahamas cruise excursions worth seeing. Certainly deserving of the title as one of the best excursions in Nassau! You can check out all of the great things to do at Atlantis Resort here.
8. Taste of Cuisine Nassau Tours
If you are looking for the best things to do in Nassau, a culinary experience has to be high on the list. Trust us, you will never go hungry in Nassau. This place is packed with flavor. From conch burgers to fresh exotic fish, the taste tests and trials are never-ending. What better way to take in all the most cultural food than on a culinary tour through Nassau? Try local jams, teas, spices, and even hand-made truffles. Food tours are sometimes combined with tours of the entire downtown which you can find taste testings of John Watling’s Rum Distillery. Definitely one of the best excursions in Nassau!
9. Day trip to the Abacos
The Abaco Islands are a group of islands which protect the rest from the North, just east of Florida. Bahamas day trips by plane to the Abaco Islands are one of the best excursions in Nassau.
There are plenty of appealing dive sites for scuba diving enthusiasts including Pelican Cays Land and Sea park with underwater tunnels and exuberant reefs. In the Abacos, you can expect to see turtles, eagle rays, and even sharks which are found in abundance around the Abaco Islands and especially Walker’s Cay National Park.
Make sure to visit all the best excursions in Bahamas!
This list is only the beginning of the fun to be had in and around Nassau. It is the home of tourism in the Bahamas and for good reason. With the proximity to Florida and its location nearby so many appealing Bahamas attractions, it is no wonder this place makes such a great all-around destination.
There are plenty of Nassau Bahamas cruise excursions waiting for your visit. Some of the best excursions in Bahamas are accessible from Nassau and ready for you to jump right in.